Saturday, August 12, 2006

Blog on a plane



Written by Mark

Observations while flying on Delta back and forth between New York City and California on Aug. 8 and 10:

• On the flight out, the safety monologue stated that most of the seat cushions can be used as flotation devices. At what point will I learn if my seat cushion is one of those flotation ones? And why are some people issued non-floating seat cushions? Makes me think twice about being grouchy to a gate agent.

• I have come up with a great idea for Cold Stone Creamery. They should create a viral video showing people drinking their new shakes on a flight. Then, turbulence hits and the ice cream flies everywhere in food fight fashion. Title: “Shakes on a Plane”

• How safe does it make passengers feel to look over and see me sitting in the exit row? Those doors are upwards of 70 pounds (so says the safety materials which I studied more than once to be prepared in case I was called upon). In a crisis, do people want to rely on Brawny-Boy Mark to get that door open in a timely fashion? I think exit row passengers should have to lift a 70 pound barbell before getting on the plane to prove they can do it.

• Because I had a seat near the front door on the flight out, I had to place my carry on bag in the overhead bin. I can only think of a few other times in my life when I’ve done that. That’s shared space, you know, and as a courtesy to my fellow passengers, I generally opt not to use it. Basically it’s because it’s unassigned, and I feel like I’m imposing or taking space that doesn’t belong to me. Having my bag up there made me nervous.

• I am a window seat guy. But I also much prefer the “A” window seat over the “F” window seat. There is a difference (I can’t work in an F seat on my laptop…maybe it’s a left-handed thing).

• People think sitting near the front is better than the middle. Unless you are in first class, I disagree. The plane is wider in the middle, so there’s slightly less width to the row of seats near the front of the plane than the middle. (The same can be said for the back, too).

• A few weeks ago, I was flying out to Salt Lake City on Continental out of Newark to pick up the family. I have Elite status on Delta, which is honored by Continental. That allows me to go through a “special friends only” security line at Newark. But after I checked in, I went to the nearest security screening to find that the ‘special’ line is only at one of the three screening areas. Even though the line was short, I made a long trip down to the other side of the terminal to find and go through the Elite line. Crazy, especially when you consider that the ‘non-special’ line at that check point was shorter than the ‘special’ line. But it was a perk, and by golly, I’d experience it, even if it took more time!

• Does anyone really like Sprite? No. It’s what I call the Default Drink. You get it as a process of elimination while flying. “I don’t want caffeine, I don’t want juice…I guess I’ll take Sprite.” Maybe their ad slogan should be: “Sprite -- when there’s no better alternative”.

• Delta has the best ice among major US airlines.

4 Comments:

At 8/16/2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Mumsy said...

We were flying JetBlue a couple of weeks ago and I was watching the flight attendant demonstrate the yellow inflatable life vests. I thought to myself, "Wait a second...we aren't even going to be flying over water. I don't need to pay attention to this. But if they were demonstrating parachutes, then I would for sure listen."

 
At 8/16/2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Yes. What you said about Sprite.

 
At 8/16/2006 7:10 PM, Blogger Donetta said...

I second the vote for demonstrating parachutes!

 
At 8/17/2006 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sprite is about the only soda my husband and now my kids will drink. Ok, that's not totally true. My kids will drink anything containing all natural high fructose corn syrup. But Josh only likes Sprite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home