Apple Time
Oh, Fall! We love you! Today was our first real fall day--so crisp. Leaves blowing from the trees. Lots of colors on the trees. Halloween aisle at Target (unfortunately NO vampire costumes or rainbow clown wigs...aargh!) New Halloween tees from Grandma in the mail today!
For the Jewish Holidays last week, Mark took Wed. off and we went apple picking. We went to the place that's just the apple orchard (as opposed to the place that charges you parking, admission, has a bounce house, corn maze, hayride, etc. etc.)
In fact, you park, buy your bag, and walk right into the orchard. And it's only 40 minutes away. And we got interviewed and put on the local news (about how we feel about the rising cost of pumpkins...which we feel fine about because you have to have pumpkins!) We've been apple picking every year since Josh was 1 and our dear friends introduced us to the Eastern tradition of apple picking.
It turned into a wonderful day because after we got our apples (and pictures of us picking apples), we went to an arboretum (free and beautiful) and a farm (again free and beautiful) with awesome animals (my favorite were the piglets.) And finished at the local ice cream stand.
So now I have a $20 bag of apples sitting on my counter, as I imagine most of my friends in NY do too (or else I would bring you some applesauce). I was happy to use 12 yesterday...4 in apple crisp and 8 in applesauce. But I need more apple ideas!
For the Jewish holiday this week, Yom Kippur, we will put up our Halloween decorations. I put up some just fall decorations a couple of weeks ago, but I tend to get burnt out on Halloween pretty easily, so I am trying to pace myself.
Please feel free to comment with your favorite apple ideas!

8 Comments:
Your outing sounded so fun. My only other apple recipe is the Apple Torte one from Grandma Baer that I use to make when you guys were little. Unfortunately, it only takes 2 apples (unless you make more than one).
1 c. sugar, 4T margarine, 1 egg, 1 C. flour, 1 tsp. soda, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 tsp. cinammon, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg, 2 apples chopped, 1/2 c. walnuts (optional, except for me). Cream sugar, margarine and egg. Beat well. Sift dry ingredients and add to first mixture. Add apples, nuts and vanilla. Bake in buttered pie pan at 350 for 35 min. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Oh the fall in the northeast, how I miss it.
I was pretty excited to make apple butter when we bought apples. That's fun.
You can never go wrong with apple pie!! Or how about apple juice?? You could try making it...though I am not sure how. Apple picking sounds like a lot of fun, I would love to go someday!
If you want to know, I LOVE this recipe. Emily Gilbert (remeber my roomie from DC?) and I used to make it alot.
Taffy Apple Pizza
Ingredients:
1 package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 medium Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
1/2 cup peanuts, chopped
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape cookie dough into a ball and place in center of Large Round Stone; flatten slightly. Using lightly floured Baker's Roller®, roll out dough to a 14-inch circle, about 1/4 inch thick. Bake 16-18 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes. Carefully loosen cookie from baking stone using Serrated Bread Knife; cool completely on baking stone.
2. Combine cream cheese, brown sugar, peanut butter and vanilla in Small Batter Bowl; mix well. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over cookie.
3. Peel, core and slice apples using Apple Peeler/Corer/Slicer. Cut apple slices in half and arrange evenly over cream cheese mixture.
4. Microwave ice cream topping on HIGH 30-45 seconds or until warm; drizzle evenly over apples. Chop peanuts using Food Chopper; sprinkle over apples. Cut into wedges.
Yield: 16 servings
I don't know if you have ever been a fan of German Pancakes (or Dutch Babies as some call it) but this incorporates apples in it as well.
Here's the recipe:
German Apple Pancakes
Ingredients:
• 8 eggs
• 1 ½ cup flour
• 1 ½ cup milk
• 1 tsp salt
• ¼ cup butter
• 3 medium apples thinly sliced and pared
• ½ brown sugar
• ½ tsp cinnamon
Method:
400 degree oven. Slice up butter in 9x13 pan and place in oven while preparing the Apples. Put apples in warm butter, spread them out and sprinkle cinnamon over them…place back in the oven. Beat eggs, flour, milk and salt together for 1 minute. Pour batter over apples. Sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over the entire top, and place in Oven for about 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
Could little Sammy and his haircut be any cuter??!! Love that little guy!
These are the very best!! You can substitute appleasauce for some of the oil but they're best with oil. Enjoy!
Mcintosh Muffins
1 ¼ c. oil
2 c. sugar
3 c. flour
1 c. coconut
1 t. baking soda
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
Mix all dry ingredients
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 c. chopped apples
Add these ingredients to the above dry mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 25 Minutes.
Makes 2-3 dozen (depending on how full you fill the muffin tins)
K- Where did you pick this year?
Thanks,
-D
Post a Comment
<< Home