Sunday, May 03, 2009

Day in DC


This week, I was fortunate to spend 24 hours in Washington, D.C. The purpose of my trip was to attend a memorial service for Bill Orton.

I flew out on Friday morning and had an early lunch with my friend Natalie. It was great to see her and catch up and agree that while life is crazy as a mom--to quote our mutual friend Michele, it's much better than attending Colonial Ward campouts.

I then took the metro to Dupont Circle where I met my former mission companion and roommate Kimberly for a late lunch. I hadn't see her for years, but had a great time catching up and reminiscing about all our memories.

I had a couple of hours before the memorial service, so I headed to Mall and the National Gallery of Art for a bit. No hassle, just walk right in, check my bag and off I was to 19th century French paintings. This pictures was one of my favorites, by Mary Cassatt.

Then I headed over to the Rayburn building for the memorial service. A handful of former staffers attended--so enjoyed remembering Bill together and being back at my old stomping grounds.

That night I went home with Kimberly S., a former Orton staffer and good friend, and her husband John. We had dinner with their kids and friends and chatted and watched Lost and it was wonderful. Then back to NYC the next morning.

It was like a breath of fresh air to be back in DC. I really loved the 4 years I spent there. Tons of memories came flooding back. I had the nicest friends there, and so many great experiences. It's so easy to get around, everything is so clean and it was beautiful--spring in full bloom. I look forward to more trips with the kids after Susie moves to DC in the fall!

3 Comments:

At 5/04/2009 8:03 AM, Blogger linda said...

Sounds like a good trip. I love DC too. Can't believe you were there for four years. Where did they go?

 
At 5/06/2009 4:11 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Fun that you got to see so many people. I'm sorry you were there for a sad reason though. I'm dying to visit NY and DC.

 
At 7/12/2017 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

she knows what a toddler should do, lift her skirt, lay back and spread her legs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home