Thursday, May 20, 2010

My big fat dairy intolerance

Last week when Josh had an ear infection, we went to our pediatrician. She saw Thomas's rashy face and suggested it may be a milk allergy and advised me to give up dairy (what? And give up happiness? See Brian Regan on you tube for that funny sketch.)

Anyways, she is right about this kind of stuff so I complied kind of and gave up most dairy. Which is hard since I love milk, yogurt, cheese, sour cream and ice cream!

So a week passed and we went for Thomas's regular appointment yesterday. His rash definitely had cleared up. I'd had a bit of dairy here and there through the week, some cream cheese, some cheese in enchiladas. I decided to treat myself to bowl of ice cream last night. Oh I am so paying for it today! Thomas's rash is back. And my stomach feels awful. Just horrible all afternoon. So not worth it.

So I guess the no dairy thing is now in full force around here. Wish me luck. I am mostly writing this down so I remember how awful I felt today for the next time I am tempted to have a bowl of ice cream.

5 Comments:

At 5/20/2010 5:14 PM, Blogger luvmymunchkins said...

From one former cheese and ice cream lover to another...it might take a few times of "paying for it." Even now, I still weigh my options "do I want to throw up later? Is that dessert REALLY worth it?" Heck, it's a calorie saver!

Big hint - Purely Decadent Coconut milk "ice cream." Try the mint, super yum! It will definitely be at your local Whole Foods, just be prepared for the sticker price.

 
At 5/20/2010 5:29 PM, Blogger Mumsy said...

I've been dairy free for about a month. I've never felt better. Okay...I did cheat a few times. But still. :)

Almond milk is a ton better than soy milk, although soy yogurt from Stonyfield farm is yummy. So is the So Delicious coconut yogurt.

There is also much better dairy-free cheese these days. Whole Foods and TJ's are going to be your best friends. The soy ice cream is good too. TJ's has the best price, if I remember correctly.

Hang in there!

 
At 5/22/2010 1:25 PM, Blogger Baerman said...

Trader Joe's has a great cherry chocolate chip soy ice cream. The chocolate is ok. Purely Decadent has great pomegrante, peanut butter zig zag, and chocolate obsession, and cookie dough. We usually pay $3.50 for a Ben and Jerry's size (pint?). Good luck. It really does feel better to not eat it dairy so often.

 
At 5/22/2010 5:45 PM, Blogger linda said...

I can remember having some of Jenny's ice cream once and it really was good. I keep wondering if I'm a little lactose intolerant. I guess I just haven't been sick enough to figue it out. Join the gluten free/vegan/sugarless group.

 
At 5/31/2010 3:12 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Oh boy -- you know I am a believer in this. I had to go totally dairy free while nursing Rachel and while it was hard initially, it really paid big dividends. I had to learn a new way to cook.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home