Stop and Shop woes
One night last week, a survey research company called. 7 minutes about food shopping. I agreed (which I normally don't). Food shopping has been on my mind a lot with my new resolve for "healthier living". I was asked to rank the stores I shop at once a month or more on a scale of 1 to 5 (5 being excellent) in a variety of categories. So, the places where I go are: stop and shop, trader joes and target. I gave stop and shop more often than not 2 in each category, ranging from cleanliness to friendliness to value to quality, etc. And maybe I was being generous. Despite my low ratings, I am consistently spending 2/3s of my grocery dollars there.After almost 8 years of going there (and believe me it is much better now than it was when we first moved here: Grand Union--yuck!), I still go there. And the survey helped me realize why--convenient. So close to home.
It's always hard to go there after returning from vacation out West--where grocery stores have wide aisles, lots of variety, friendly clerks, decent produce, etc. With a sigh, oh, I am back here again.
But alas I persist--searching the parking lot for the sole car cart (Dan's had about 10 in SLC) so Matthew will be happy. It's familiarity is oddly reassuring. Ask me where any product is in the store and I could probably find it for you (that is if they carry it.) And they are nice about if you forget to give them your coupons--you just go to customer service and they give you cash, which is nice since I never have cash. It's kind of fun to give them your reward card at the end of your check out and watch the total go down. Small victory--I saved over $40.

5 Comments:
Quick- where are the black olives?
I miss S&S, even though I enjoyed TJ- S&S always had what I needed and I could also get $20 in quarters for laundry. And forget about those bakery brownies in the bin by the bagels- heaven!
--
Still getting used to Safeway which is by far too clean, too friendly, and WAY too much space dedicated to coffee and wine. Still getting to know where stuff is and too many toddler-level cute displays. AND the kicker is it's 10 minutes away instead of 5!
;-)
i have to say that there are some things i miss about nyc -- i miss Jefferson Market on 6th in the Village and Zabar's on the Upper East Side. But...I don't miss having to go to 3 different grocery stores to make one recipe!
kath, you and the gang can always come stay with us if you want to get your big, wide aisle shopping fix.
yesyes! come visit us!
I'll take Stop and Shop over my tiny Associated Food any day. I love having to back out of aisles just so someone else can reach for a can of peas. Or, waiting in line to grab a quart of milk because there's no way to get around the person in front of you....ah...groceries in New York...it's really no wonder that everyone orders in, is it?
Good ol' Stop & Shop. Will they have such oddities as 2% milk or cheddar cheese in stock tonight? I'm crossing my fingers. . .
Post a Comment
<< Home