Sunday, August 27, 2006

I Love NY

Written by Mark

Living in New York is definitely tough. And it seems like I often hear about all the bad things about living in and near the Big Apple. But there are many quintessential moments when you say: “Wow! I Love NY! It’s just so darn cool.”

Here’s my top 11 moments (in rank order) when I say that. I’d love to hear your NY moments, too, that make you appreciate living in the center of the universe.

11. Driving the Merritt Parkway: I have a client outside of Hartford and I’ve driven up there a few times lately on the Merritt in CT. In an economy car (instead of a mini van), it’s a joy to drive and so green and full of trees. You don’t get that in the west.

10. YMCA at Yankees Stadium: At the end of the 5th inning, the grounds crew comes out to sweep the dirt. They do it to the Village People’s YMCA and dance along. Sounds more appropriate in Kansas than New York City but it’s just SO New York.

9. A Great Broadway Experience: Sadly, there are fewer GREAT Broadway shows – and less that are worth the $110 a ticket price. But I saw Wicked a couple of weeks ago, and this one qualifies. Lion King and Blue Man Group are two of my other favorites that are still playing. There’s no better entertainment in the world.

8. Commuting by Train: I could never go back to commuting by car. I LOVE having a built-in 30-minute interlude between home and work in the morning, and the same in the evening. My best naps occur on the train.

7. Our News is National News: No matter what it is, our local stories are always national stories. We get 2 inches of snow – it’s talked about on Regis. There’s a little bump in subway service, and it’s all over the Today Show. Our heat waves aren’t as bad as those in the south, but ours get more press!

6. The Hub-Bub of Grand Central at Evening Rush: I remember a college professor who used to work in NYC saying he got this “I’ve made the big time” every time he popped out of the Lincoln Tunnel (he lived in Jersey). I get that same feeling cutting through Grand Central at night.

5. Movie Capital of the World: Living in NYC means spotting and identifying lots of NYC references in movies. I’m always saying “I’ve been there” or trying to figure out where it was shot. Most recent favorite moment for the kids: In Madagascar, they reference Metro North trains to CT, which the kids think is hysterical.

4. Staten Island Ferry: No. 1 tourist thing to do, in my opinion, as it’s a free way that the locals use to see a great view of the Statue of Liberty. Second favorite free activity for tourists: walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

3. Flying up the Hudson River: If you’re lucky when you fly into LaGuardia airport, your flight path might take you right up the Hudson River. You need to be in an “F” window seat to really enjoy it as the flight goes right over the Statue of Liberty, then goes from Battery Park to beyond the Upper West Side before it does a U-Turn and lands. Best view of Manhattan ever!

2. Watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade in Times Square: When the big balloons go by, it’s magical, and I can’t wait to grab my cell phone to call someone out west and brag.

1. Frank Sinatra Serenades the Yankees: When the Yankees win at home, Frank Sinantra’s “New York, New York” serenades the fans. (When they lose, it’s Lisa Minelli). The song starts within a half second of the final out or the Yankees crossing home plate if there’s a bottom of the ninth inning. Our last game, we stayed til the bitter end just for Josh to hear that. THE best moment associated with living in New York City.

6 Comments:

At 8/28/2006 9:29 AM, Blogger Erin said...

I love that there is ALWAYS something going on. Josh and I got to see the Bookeaters concert the other night. It was cool to be hanging out with hipster upper west siders and see such amazing talent. Jon Stewart was especially great. He's so New York.

 
At 8/28/2006 11:35 AM, Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

My path from Grand Central to work took me past the Waldorf Astoria. I would get a kick out of having to change my path because the President or some other world leader was staying there and security had blocked off the surrounding streets. It's interesting to be inconvenienced by Tony Blair.

 
At 8/28/2006 8:45 PM, Blogger liz said...

shopping in midtown manhattan

going to the movies in times square

seeing the cranberries in an old ballroom

the spinny doors to enter tall buildings

the colors that change for holidays on the empire state building

 
At 8/29/2006 6:06 PM, Blogger Lizzy said...

it's so hard moving anywhere once you've lived in NY. i compare shopping, eating, landscape, culture...and it never matches up. free and plentiful parking is nice but i can't help feeling that i'm missing out on an experience.

 
At 8/29/2006 7:15 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

you are right mark, ny news IS world news, because ri doesn't have enough news of its own, and it makes it so sad for those who have just moved...i agree with what lizzy said...i miss the smell...but my all-time favorite ny moment was following ozzy osbourne into a shoe store to verify that it was in fact ozzy...thank goodness he had his name tatooed on his hand so i could be sure (this was pre-The Osbourne Show--i was 13).

 
At 8/30/2006 1:56 PM, Blogger liz said...

oh, we still read NY News.

I remember the first visit home to AZ and their news covered the birth of a pig on a farm. I knew we had moved to a much more important place.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home