2 items from Mark
Male Bash Monthly MagazineParents and Parenting magazines are misleading with their titles as it makes you believe the magazine is about parents (which is a genderless word, not necessarily feminine). Based on its editorial coverage, they should be called something like “Parenting Magazine (if you’re a woman)” or “Parents sans Dad”.
I read these magazines (and no, I’m not ashamed to say I read them). Every month, there seems to be some innuendo to why Dads are bad or husbands are lame. (“Which of the following things annoys you about your husband’s parenting skills?” “Tell us a silly story about how your husband that illustrates why men are inadequate as parents.” Or an article starts: “I had reached the end of my rope. The kids were screaming, my husband was watching the game on TV, and the dog had just had an accident on the floor…”)
I’m not trying to start a movement and I’m not ultra sensitive (well, I am, but not specifically on this issue). But next time you read these magazines, see if I’m true. There’s some anti-men-ite slipping into the editorial copy. And it’s wrong because it’s lowering the bar of male parenting, making males think it’s the norm to be a lame dad. We guys are capable of top-notch parenting.
Maybe I’ll start a magazine called “Dad.”
Root, Root, Root for the Root Beer
In today’s world, there’s really only one great Root Beer, and that’s A&W. Dad’s is a poor excuse, and Mug tries too hard. Barqs has caffeine…and if I was going to have caffeine, why not go for the good stuff (the reason I drink Root Beer is to avoid the caffeine).
Ramblin’ Root Beer was really good in its day. It was a Coca-Cola offering and was really foamy. Anyone else remember that from the 70s and 80s? (“Ramblin’ Root Beer’s Something More!” was the tag.)

2 Comments:
I remember Ramblin', it went great with my roller skates and rainbow shirts. Now I have a root beer for you to try, Mulligan's Island I believe it is called. Next time you go to Stop n Shop look for it on the last aisle where the drink mixers are, they may have a case or two. We love it. Nice to see that you are blogging.
Ramblin' was good. You should try Stewarts root beer. It is quite tasty. They also have a lovely birch beer and ginger beer.
Post a Comment
<< Home