Organizing clothes
We moved Matthew out of 2T clothes this week. He is approaching his 3rd birthday. And while some 2Ts worked still, I wanted to put everything away at the same time.This meant going through a rubbermaid tote of Josh's clothes, size 3T. There were some clothes that were definitely usable, shoes, pants, sunday clothes, outerwear. I loved that I could put a pair of Josh's 3T old navy jeans on Matty and they looked good and fit well. He's got a nice pair of sneakers of Josh's waiting for him when the light up Thomas shoes are outgrown.
There are some of Josh's things and Matty's things that I will save for Samuel. I have found that t-shirts for boys are easily and inexpensively replaced. I just like them to look fresh. Stuff I am getting rid of gets put in the clothes donation pile (there are some good things for "big brothers," good shape that I just don't like anymore or don't think I would have them wear) or the pile for clothes recycling (these bins are found in local parking lots).
The stuff I save goes in rubbermaid totes, labeled, waiting for the day when the next kid grows into them.
Then this leads me to think about my clothes. I really wear only a fraction of what is in my closet. If I have a new item, I might wear that over and over again, until the next purchase, and then the cycle gets repeated. I remember hearing from a friend that most women wear only 20 percent of the clothes they own 80 percent of the time. I have a standard uniform for the winter: long sleeved tee or lightweight sweater and jeans, then appropriate outerwear.
Anyways, as part of my New Years goal of being a wise consumer, I hope to be very careful this year when purchasing clothes. I am always tempted by sale or clearance racks, with the thought that buying things because they are so affordable that it would be a crime not to buy them! Also I need to remember that the more clothes I buy, the more laundry I will be doing!!!

4 Comments:
Good for you! You are so organized.
I do this too. All the rubbermaid totes..you can just imagine with 4 girls. But really, I think I've saved an awful lot of $$ on baby clothes over the years.
Wow, we're really on the same brain wave. Maybe we're related?? I've been doing the same thing. I am constantly reorganizing clothes and now I'm to the point where I don't save a whole lot unless it's in good shape. It's just too much to keep track of. Not only that, I find with this baby, half the stuff I had with my other boys I don't want to put him in, the seasons are wrong, they seem worn out or not "fresh looking" as you put it. I agree with chucking the t-shirts. Summer clothes are not saveable. They just get too dirty. Anyway, just thought I'd chime in. I do read your great blog regularly and think you're fantastic!! Miss you tons. From - Guess Who?
i love this about having three boys...
Post a Comment
<< Home