Thursday, February 01, 2007

"The" enchiladas



These are my favorites. I feel today that I am now ready to share them with the world. Peggy first made these for us after Samuel was born. I make them often. I love them. The one part that's a bit of a pain is softening the corn tortillas in oil, but I remind myself that it makes the end product so good and tasty and warm and satisfying. You can also triple the recipe, stick one set of twelve in the freezer and bring a pan to a friend (since corn tortillas typically come 36 per package).

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream
From Sunset Magazine

3 cups shredded skinned cooked chicken
2 cups sour cream
About 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (8 oz.)
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I use way less)
12 corn tortillas
1 jar (16 oz.) salsa

1. In a bowl, mix chicken, sour cream, 2 cups shredded cheese, and the salt.
2. Heat oil in an 8- to 10-inch frying pan over low heat. Dip the tortillas, one at a time, in the hot oil just until limp, about 5 seconds. (I let them cool in layered between paper towels).

3. Fill tortillas equally with turkey mixture, roll up, and arrange side by side, seam down, in a 9- by 13-inch baking dish. Pour salsa evenly over the top.

4. Bake in a 350° oven until heated through, about 20 minutes. If desired, sprinkle more shredded cheese over hot enchiladas before serving.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

6 Comments:

At 2/02/2007 5:47 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

those sound really good. i want to hear more about this house business..when do you move? you'll have to e-mail me the details

 
At 2/02/2007 5:50 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

what kind of salsa works best?

 
At 2/03/2007 6:40 PM, Blogger liz said...

jenny i was wondering the same thing!

 
At 2/03/2007 6:47 PM, Blogger Kathryn said...

about the salsa...really just use your favorite. It can be red or verde or anything you like. I happen to use chi-chi's brand since I have it from Costco. Use 2 cups. Enjoy!

 
At 2/04/2007 8:27 PM, Blogger liz said...

i had lasagna for dinner and i still look at this pictures and want to march upstairs at 8:30pm (right now) and make them and eat them all! mmmmmmmmm

 
At 2/05/2007 10:04 AM, Blogger Mumsy said...

I can attest that these are so yummy. I've been a very lucky recipient.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home