Command Central
I decided I needed a new system for organizing our family. As I have said before, i take my job as CEO of this family very seriously. But my current system of piling all papers, receipts and order forms on the dining room table wasn't working for me anymore. i love the idea of Pottery Barn's daily system, but besides being expensive, it's something I can't implement in this house at this time. Plus I started feeling that I wanted to start working on projects again. I can't remember the last time I did a project. I have been just so focused on managing the day to day, doing a project seems like a luxury.So, I set up a card table in my bedroom. It has the first project sitting on it-- Putting prints my father-in-law sent me from this summer in our photo album.
I went to staples. I bought some posterboard. I folded each piece in half making a portfolio for each child to put their school projects in. A happy afternoon was spent decorating these with stickers.
Also at staples, I found letter size zip top folders. I have one for each child for their papers, registration forms, schedules for activites, etc. The zippers are even color coded--pink for Caro, green for Matty and blue for Josh. I have 3 zipper folders for me, and some smaller ones too, one for receipts and one for coupons. They are clear and I love them!
I decided the side of the fridge is really where all the important things need to be. I don't have a bulletin board. Magnets with a clip hold school newsletter, cafeteria menu, invitations, etc. Then in an act of pure genius, I bought 10 small white boards at the closeout store. 5 are lined in a row for the days of the week, and the various activites that might happen M-F, like cub scouts, soccer, bring in library books, etc. Then 5 for family members. Each child has one that has what we are working on (Josh--practice trumpet and piano, Matthew--wear underwear and be happy going places) and then their jobs. The jobs are simple and with a wipe of the white board can be modified for what we need to have done that day. One has my goals: eat healthy, exercise, read scriptures. We have one for what we are working on as a family, too.
So I am hoping this works. The dining room table is still a mess tonight.

7 Comments:
I love the white board idea. Really, I think it's genius! Good luck with the organization!
You are inspiring me. I need to do this too!
where did you find your white boards? i'd love to try something like that.
You are so tricky. I love it!
good for you kathryn. enjoy your organization for us. i'm still a few months away from order i our home. =)
i love the white boards!
You must be your mother's daughter. I love organization byut you are much more clever than I am.
Post a Comment
<< Home