Monday, September 10, 2007

A note on water

I am not writing this to make anyone feel bad. This is just simply my experience and "what's been on my mind" over the last couple of weeks.

We get messages all the time about drinking a lot of water and how important it is. I am a huge water drinker. I can get 8 glasses in no problem. I love water, it's my preferred beverage. Mark is a self-proclaimed "water struggler." He doesn't like the taste of water, and can't tolerate cold water. He likes his room temperature.

Mark found a solution to his water woes--he drinks a water with flavor. He likes orange and raspberry. I can't stand flavored water.

I am the type to bring home water bottles by the case every week or so and I buy the kids little waters to take to school. Caroline would bring her empty one home so she could recycle it since there wasn't a recycling option at school. In addition to 16 ounce bottles, I would buy bigger ones for the gym and gallons to put in the fridge.

So, while we are away, we hear a lot of hype about bottled water. How now everyone is buying water purification systems. We heard in the news that bottled water is not neccessarily better than tap water. We heard that all these empty bottles (which they say not to re-use because the plastic they are made from is not meant to be reused, etc.) are not being recycled and it's so bad for the environment etc.

So, I am trying to make little changes. I am taking my shopping bags to the store. My recycling bins are filled with more things than they used to be.

So I decided I am not going to try not buy bottled water anymore. I bought a water purification system. I found one that sits on the counter (or in our fridge too) that the kids can work it themselves. I put in one spot our random collection of plastic water bottles and we take those to the park or on outings. The kids' new lunchboxes came with refillable bottles. So I freeze it half-full the night before and top it off in the morning. It takes a little more work to get a cold drink of water. But it still tastes the same as pulling a water bottle out of the fridge.

So I am wondering as a PR person if this is all a campaign by the water purification people to sell more pitchers and filters?

3 Comments:

At 9/10/2007 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kath,

Good for you! I don't know if it's a PR thing (you know SF has banned bottled water for city employees?), but I did read that the bottles are bad for numerous reasons. We switched to the Sigg bottles for our family. The kids love them. I do still have bottles for our emergency supplies. Don't know any way around that.

 
At 9/10/2007 7:37 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

I am just thinking of the scene in the movie, Return To Me where Minnie Driver pours the Aquafina water down the drain and fills it with tap water to serve to the annoying lady. Funny, huh? You never know??!!

 
At 9/11/2007 7:44 PM, Blogger Tania said...

I have the wide mouth nalgene (used them for years.) Since I'm not together enough to 1/2 freeze them the night before, I just cram it full of ice cubes in the morning, and then fill it with the water. The kids say there's still ice in them at luch time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home