In my next life...
I think I might be a locksmith. They make a lot of money for a little amount of work!We got locked out of our house this week. It was about 8:30 a.m. I was trying to keep Sam happy for a few minutes before his morning nap, so I went outside with the younger 3. Josh came out a few minutes later and closed the locked the door behind him.
Now I can't really blame it all on Josh. Our back door had a child-proofing knob turner on it to prevent Matthew from coming and going as he pleased. The knob made it difficult to pop out the lock. I was lazy, I just left the door ajar.
We went to our sweet neighbors and called the locksmith. Normally I would call Mark but he was unreachable at a company retreat in the Catskills. He is the only other person that had a key.
Sure enough, the locksmith arrived in 20 minutes. He had us in the house by drilling the lock 5 minutes after that. Five minutes after that he replaced the lock he broke to get us in.
I started crying when he told me the amount (which let's just say was a sizeable amount--more than the $100 or so I thought it might be). He said, why are you crying? I said I really wanted a new sofa, not a new lock.
He also said he found 6 other locks he'd be happy to change for us. AAAHH! I think I will take my chances on getting robbed by someone who may have a previous key.
I went to the hardware store and had keys made. A wonderful friend who is always reachable has one extra key and the other one I am wrapping in a ziploc and burying in the yard (at night). Don't buy a "rock key" Asher the locksmith advised, since the robbers know what the rock keys look like.
Good advice, Asher. Enjoy your vacation to Hawaii or where ever on my sofa money!

6 Comments:
I'm sorry--this made me laugh. I think the same thing about the plumber! Every time he comes, he stays for less than 5 minutes and does what I know I could have done myself with a screwdriver and a washer. Fred totally went into the wrong business. :)
Thanks for the story. It made me laugh, too, which is good because my life has been full of ups and downs lately. I am lucky that my husband used to be a window washer. He knows how to open a window using a screwdriver. He had to do it this month when he couldn't find the garage door remote in the car.
Oh Kathryn, I'm so sorry! I imagine I would have had to do the same thing. I better go get some keys made and give one to my neighbor. I know exactly what you mean about 'sofa' money. We put sprinklers in when we moved in and were like, there goes some furniture. It just plain stinks! I've just learned that I have to get over it quick, or it eats at me for ages! Know that you can always call me for a place to stay if needed. ;)
Wow, how frustrating! I hate to pay for things that come down to stupidity - our big one is being towed.
i hate paying locksmiths! we've been locked out before too but luckily only had to have the door opened not a new lock made.
Loved this post Kathryn - especially your comment about not wanting to use the money for a locksmith b/c it was your sofa money. I felt that way when we had to cough up 75.00 for a photo-cop in DC. I feel like I was robbed or something. It makes me so mad that I have to pay for stuff like that. Love your updates.
Post a Comment
<< Home