Sunday, June 10, 2007

I am a picker

No doubt about it, I am a picker. I think a lot of moms are. We like to pick at (or groom) our children. They hate it when I say, "oh, let me just get that for you." I especially love crusty eyes and dirty fingernails. These are so fun to pick at.

Well, I found the outlet for all my picking impulses yesterday. I started picking at the wallpaper in the master bathroom. The wallpaper had to go anyways, since we are redoing the bathrooms this summer. What started as little tear here and there in the morning led to a compulsion and determination to finish it with energy I am not sure where it came from....I simply could not rest until all the wallpaper was gone. I made a trip to the hardware store for supplies, but in the end found the greatest satisfaction was from just using my fingernails to get under the wallpaper and pull. It became a game...to see how much I could pull off in one continuous piece.

I dreaded doing the ceiling, but as soon as I attacked it, it became my favorite part. I didn't have to score or spray it--it just came off in large pieces. It was so satisfying. I told Mark why I liked it--it required little know-how and you had instantaneous results.

My bathroom fixtures have all been ordered thanks to Sue at the Tile, Stone and Plumbing Store. She was AMAZING. I just loved that she made appointments--on Thursday nights!! Prior to finding Sue, I had panic attacks thinking about going to Home Depot and just trying to buy things off the shelves there. I was "led" to her ad in the yellow pages under tile, I truly believe. We've got tile ordered, as well as toilets and pedestal sinks, a vanity with a recessed sink, lighting and faucets that match the towel racks and it's just going to be wonderful. She thought of everything and helped me solve all my bathroom-related problems.

Mark and I will have painting and trim to put up after everything gets installed, more things with learning curves. But maybe I will like it as much as taking down the wallpaper!

4 Comments:

At 6/11/2007 8:01 PM, Blogger Mumsy said...

Wanna come help me strip the paint from the railing in my hallway? The picking--it's addictive.

I'm glad you found Sue, too.

 
At 6/11/2007 10:59 PM, Blogger Tania said...

I love painting. It's just tough to do with kids around - bring them over here & then you'll really enjoy it.

I think you'll like it for the same reasons as the wallpaper - you can look back after little time and effort and see big results, a joy not often found in other aspects of a Mom's life.

 
At 6/18/2007 2:03 PM, Blogger Jenn S. said...

Ooh - sounds wonderful! I can't wait to see pictures when it is all done. We're planning a bathroom renovation next year too, so I may steal some ideas from you (and Sue). :)

 
At 6/23/2007 5:33 PM, Blogger The Christensen Family said...

I totally do the picking thing--my hubby HATES it! I find myself looking for the stuff to rub off rather than their cute faces....something I have to realize.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Can't wait to see your new bathrooms!!!!
Megan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home