Tuesday, May 29, 2007

It's okay that I can't sew

Mark has asked me to sew a button on his pants for about 3 weeks now. I finally did it! Part of the problem was that I couldn't find my sewing kit in the move. So I got a travel size one at the hardware store, and now he's all set.

Part of the problem is I also can't sew! This has been a hard thing for me for my whole life. My mom is an excellent quilter. Our walls will soon (once we hang them up again) be graced with her quilts, each one lovingly handmade. One for my mission and my wedding and one for each of my children. Quilting was her escape, her hobby, her love. She loves to go to the fabric store. She had a quilt club in California with her dearest friends. She spent hours sewing quilts and making gifts. I, however, have no ability in sewing. I can't even hem a pair of pants.

But I also realized as we are working with Matthew on fine motor skills (he has a gross grasp the OT told me) that I don't have great fine motor skills. Small hand work really bugs me! I don't like to do it.

I remember for Christmas one year, Julie and I got latch hook rug kits. She was in 2nd grade and I was in 4th. Like 3 days later she completed hers while mine sat in the box. I think she eventually did mine too. I wanted to do it--it was of a giant panda. I love giant pandas. It was too hard for me. I wish someone had told me "this is hard for you since you have a deficiency in your fine motor skills." I don't know--maybe we are trying to explain everything away these days.

I have had several cross stitch kits--never could do them either. Julie's made cross stitch stockings for all her kids. I can't knit or crochet or hem or anything like that!

So now I am not going to feel bad anymore about what I can't do. And instead focus on what I can do. This weekend when the boys were camping, I asked Caroline what she wanted to do that was special with mom. She said work on her quilt. (I bought her a fleece "knot-a-quilt" kit at Christmas time to go with her new Bitty Twins since they didn't come with a blanket.) There were 8 rows to do and in 5 months we had done 2 rows. So we did it. When we had a few moments, we'd sit down and knot a row (no sewing involved only tying knots.) It's far from perfect (don't look at the backside of it), but it's done and she loves it and it's on her bed now.

So I guess what I am saying in this post is that 1) I am glad I know now why I have never taken to sewing, 2) I am not going to compare myself anymore to other family members that can sew and just be happy for them and their talents, and grateful they share their talents with me, and 3) focus on what I am good at doing.

3 Comments:

At 5/29/2007 2:38 PM, Blogger Mumsy said...

Amen. I can't sew either, but I can't bring myself to get rid of my sewing machine that just sits in my living room unused.

 
At 5/30/2007 8:33 AM, Blogger Allysha said...

Good for you, Kathryn. You have so many other talents, and it's nice to be liberated from feeling like you should have to like to do something that doesn't have a big bearing on your actual quality of life! Okay, that sentences was too long. But you know what I mean!

 
At 7/27/2007 5:56 PM, Blogger Natalie C. said...

Isn't that weird that something like that can give you issues for years? What a great post. I think there are a lot of things I need to let go of the stress over. But it does help, like you said to get some medical or psychological insight, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home