Monday, June 04, 2007

A fun outing



We didn't have a lot of time between Saturday activities, but we wanted to do a family outing in the city that all the kids would enjoy.

That led us to the Little Red Lighthouse. We read the book before going--"The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge." I loved going on a literary outing!

Park on the westernmost part of 181st street or thereabouts. Take the footbridge over the highway. The trail is condusive to strollers. It's a little steep but definitely managable for little ones. Just watch out for the bikers. It takes about 15 minutes to get down to the lighthouse.

Bring your picnic--there are a few picnic benches and even a couple in the shade. Throw lots of rocks into the Hudson River. Take some pictures. Look and identify all the types of boats that pass by. If you go soon, you may even see some goslings.



We had a great time!

PS There was no way to get the lighthouse, bridge and kids all in the same picture...

5 Comments:

At 6/04/2007 10:50 AM, Blogger Tania said...

We've loved that book for years & I have been wanting to go there FOREVER! I could never figure out how to get there (even after asking the Rather's ...) Thanks for the directions - we're for sure going now.

 
At 6/06/2007 10:30 AM, Blogger Lizzy said...

this was one place we never made it to. thanks for posting a photo. we love this book.

 
At 6/06/2007 2:35 PM, Blogger chyayn said...

Here I am lurking today and thought id post a comment:) This looks like so much fun and Id love to take my girls here! Ill have to get some more details some time:) Glad you had a good time...

 
At 6/06/2007 5:25 PM, Blogger Mumsy said...

What a great day! I love your pictures and I think I need to go see that red lighthouse now.

 
At 8/10/2008 6:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom to 8 says:
Thanks for the directions! I needed to go here to get a feel for this lighthouse as we are doing a series of embroidered T's & Sweats of the Hudson River Lighthouses to offer at our shop in Germantown NY & on our Website gelinasgraphics.com We will make a family outing of it most definately.... Jude the Tshirt Lady

 

Post a Comment

<< Home