Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Mini-bagels: a review

Our little lady, Miss Caroline, prefers to take mini bagels to school for lunch. She would alternate with PB and J but she's got a peanut allergy kid in her class, so it's not an option. She'll also take Mac and cheese in a thermos on occasion and buys lunch on Friday--pizza day.

She prefers mini bagels from the bagel store. Not from the grocery store. So I get a dozen at a time, cut them in half and then freeze the rest.

Bagel store A's mini-bagels are 55 cents. You have to get there in the morning because they sell out during the day. If I know it's an afternoon bagel run, I call ahead and they will put a dozen aside for me. They have plain mini's and also whole grain, so I can get a few of those for myself. Cash only (which means I've got to carry enough cash which I never do.) This does take some planning. Sammy also likes to munch on them when we pick up the fresh bagels, providing him sustinence for any further errand running (it is halfway to Target).

Bagel store B's mini-bagels are 50 cents each. This store is across from the orthodontist so it's kind of convenient since we have to go to the orthodontist now and then. They only have plain minis. When I brought these home today (guess where I was this morning?) I found them to be delicious, but hard to cut. They are flatter than A's and I don't want to slice a finger off. Sammy was begging for a chocolate-chocolate chip muffin because they were just placed low enough in the bakery case to be within his sight range. That set me back an extra $2. So, it's actually cheaper to go to A.

So, it's bagel store A from now on. The pros are just good enough to give them a slight edge. These bagels also must be topped with whipped cream cheese. Temp-Tee is our favorite brand right now.

3 Comments:

At 1/07/2009 6:42 AM, Blogger linda said...

Fun post. What we do for our kids!!

 
At 1/20/2009 7:04 PM, Blogger liz said...

i love this- all the little details we figure out as mothers that we couldn't begin to explain each and every single one of them to someone else if we needed to.

 
At 1/22/2009 9:52 PM, Blogger Tania said...

We are all about bagel store A - they really are fatter. We just went there yesterday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home