Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A great surprise!



Susie had told me that Mom was working on a special project for Christmas but she didn't know what it was. So, we decided to open her package last on Christmas morning. Inside were Mr. and Mrs. Santa Claus dolls! I burst into tears and couldn't speak for about 5 minutes.

My mom made her set of dolls about 25 years ago. They are labor intensive. She made 4 or so other pairs the following year and her friends bought them. I remember well the time and energy it took for her to make them. And when my mom makes something (like dolls or quilts), it is always with perfect craftsmanship. I remember her especially telling me how difficult the hair was.

My sister Julie had asked for several years for my mom to make her a pair. Well, Mom decided this was the year and she made 6 pairs in one month! The 4 sibs who were together on Christmas Eve got theirs all at the same time, and John and I had ours mailed to us. A lot of my tears came from knowing how happy these dolls would make Julie, who has had a rough time of it of late.

These dolls are very nostalgic for me! They remind me of our wonderful Christmases at home. They sat perched on the sofa table in the dining room each year and were one of the first things you saw as you walked in the door. It was a complete surprise and a beautiful one. Thank you so much Mom for this very special gift!

I usually put away all the decorations before New Years. This year, the trees (yes, we have 2) are staying up until then along with our new gift. I want to admire them for a few more days. They will be treasured by me and Mark, our kids and grandkids for years to come.

3 Comments:

At 12/30/2009 7:10 AM, Blogger Chrissie said...

Great posts. Wish we could have been together! I love the boys in their matching PJ's. And the picture of Caroline is beautiful. Love you!

 
At 12/30/2009 9:51 PM, Blogger Katherine said...

What a wonderful treasure. I can see why they're so special and meaningful. I love things like that! I would feel the same way. What a great mom you have. :)

 
At 1/02/2010 7:14 PM, Blogger Liz said...

They're so cute! Does she feel like making another set for me?
What a fun thing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home