Strategies
While yesterday was all about getting candy, today is all about getting rid of the candy!I polled several people throughout the day to get their thoughts on what they do with the candy.
I do remember reading in a magazine once that one mom saved the candy for the gingerbread houses. That's a great idea if you make gingerbread houses. That's not something I am really capable of.
Moms at Matthew's gymnastics class said they have the kids pick 5 and they just throw away the rest.
The always resourceful and amazing younger sister Julie (mother of seven no less) says she pools all the candy from all of the kids in a big bowl and they can have one after dinner and after they finish their chores.
I don't remember having a candy strategy before this year, but I really am trying to be better at making good eating choices, so I want it out of my house.
I thought about making myself actually put all the wrappers of the candy I ate in a jar so I would be forced to know just how much candy I consumed. But I am hoping these other things will work.
Samuel did not get any candy. When he refused to put on his costume, I refused to let him out of the stroller. We just handed him a couple of things throughout the night. So his bag was empty.
For Matthew, I took out all of his chocolate candy (as that is the only candy that tempts me) and I put it in a ziploc and put it in the freezer downstairs. He didn't even ask for candy today except he told Mark that he wanted candy for breakfast. Out of sight, out of mind.
For Josh, I asked him to pick 15 pieces and said I would give him a baseball card for the rest. He obliged as he loves to earn baseball cards.
Caroline had a friend over today so I didn't get a chance to talk to her about it, but following my friend Juliane's strategy, I will offer to pay her for her candy.
So, not one option for all 3 children, but 3 different strategies. Regardless, Mark has a big ziploc of candy to take to work tomorrow.

8 Comments:
i posted by tip on my blog but will share here too. i'm saving most of the candy for junk boxes to give to cousins for xmas. with 6 cousins to share with, they will eat get a bit of edible excitement for the holidays.
I loved Julianne's idea of pooling all the M&Ms for cookies. I think we'll make cookies tomorrow and include any kind of chocolate candy - don't milky way-snickers-kit-kat-
m&m-butterfinger-reese's cookies sound good?
Yes. Those sound delicious, Erin!
Connor chose 10 pieces to save and then we sent the rest to work with Alan. Connor wrote a note: To Daddy's Friends. From Connor and Abby.
And, like you, I'm getting rid of it so I don't eat it. Connor doesn't really care too much. Abby, on the other hand. Well, there's a reason she was a piggy for Halloween!
my mom let us keep our bags in our rooms. i remember shoving it in a drawer so my brothers wouldn't find it. and eventually i just forgot about. i'm doing the out of sight out of mind thing. the top of the fridge seems to be out of sight for my kids. if they see it, then they can have a treat after lunch. and i like the "after chores" bribe too. a week or so, and it'll be out with yesterday's newspaper.
I have bad ideas, want those too? I eat as much as I can as fast as I can so I feel sick (yeah so health yand smart huh?).
Then sometimes send it to work with mike (what I already picked through).
Zane is potty training so one piece for special moments (especially the times go does well right after an accident earlier in the day).
throw away? I don't know if I could do it! I am soo addicted. you are so strong. But I think I would have a heart attack if I followed my strategy with more than one bucket (i.e. mult. kids)!!! I know every year I will think of you as a wise woman and think of a strategy for myself.
I love Lizzy's idea of gifting it out to the kids in the family at another time and I love the idea of freezing it like you posted. Brilliant. I might do that with the few chocolate pieces I have left......
good topic for me, thanks for posting about it.
I was just thinking about this. Rebekah's orthodontist used to buy it back from us - but her braces are off, and we don't see him any more .... Actually, we don't have that much. Rebekah is too big to go anymore, and the other 3 didn't really get much (slow walkers.) Emy is as picky about candy as she is everything else, and the other 2 won't notice how much they have, so I will sort thourgh and pull out a bunch of it. I remember last year getting an address at church and sent it to someone ... a lady who bags it up into little stockings for underprivileged kids for Christmas. I don't remember who told us about her though - anyone know who she is?
Here's what I do: I have all the kids dump their candy into a big bowl. After they go to bed, I sort out all the hard candy, chewy candy -- pretty much everything but chocolate. Then I bag that all up and take it to Dr. Magid, DDS on Halstead Ave. in Harrison. He gives me $1./lb. and sends it to Iraq. Lately, I've involved the kids in that. They like it that they are doing a good thing. Then, I keep the candy that we saved in a high cupboard and get it down for them only when they remember to ask for it. Any that's left by about 2 weeks later goes with Daniel to work.
That's my .02...
i have one more. it's actually my sister-in-law's plan. a few days after Halloween she dumps all the candy onto the table, set the timer for 15 minutes, then lets the kids go at it. when the timer goes off no one is sad to see the rest go in the trash!
Post a Comment
<< Home