It's not easy being green
Kermit is right! This is a lot of work.I am trying to be a super good recycler. Our county has just enacted a law I guess that says if they find recycling in your trash, you get a summons. Since Mark reminds me that this is like throwing money out with the trash, I happily comply.
Garbage has never been treated better than how I treat my garbage! Plastic containers from ricotta, yogurt, sour cream, and cream cheese all carefully rinsed out. Some are even put in the dishwasher if they are being stubborn. Cardboard boxes broken down and put together with like-cardboard. Newspapers, white paper, and magazines stacked together in used paper shopping bags. Wednesdays are a sweet day. The garbage truck comes and hauls it all away. I spend a lot more time sorting and stacking. I used to put our recycling in our front hall closet (and still do with newspapers), but food related stuff gets carried down to the garage now, several times a day. Matthew's new job, I am hoping.
I love my reusable shopping bags, and get frustrated when I forget them. Not only do I use them at the grocery store, but I use them all over the house for various things. They are not only helpful for library books, but also for carrying stuff to go upstairs from downstairs and stuff to go downstairs from upstairs.
Change (a word so overused now appearantly) is hard, but worth it. Now we have more recycling than garbage. But it would be nice to have neither I suppose. Maybe I should have been a pioneer.

2 Comments:
Oh! I didn't know about that law. I'm always wondering what I can and can't recycle. I used to put a lot of stuff out, but I'd find it on my doorstep the next day--from my landlady. Do you know where we can get a list? I love recycling.
Lindsey - we got a list today in the mail. Or you can ask me, we are AVID recyclers (when I say we, I don't mean Rick.)
Kathryn, it gets easier once you remember what you can & can't recycle, and when it becomes routine. Also, I keep my bags in the car. I just fold them all up and toss them in the back after we use them. That way I never forget them, or if I make an impromptu trip to the store, I have them with me.
Yay for you for going green.
Post a Comment
<< Home