Sunday, October 22, 2006

Chihuly


Installation at the Nolan Greenhouses


Installation at the Entrance


Installation at the Rose Garden


Caroline and I went down to the NY Botanical Gardens yesterday to see the Chihuly exhibit. Let me just say it was amazing and one of my all time favorite New York moments.

Usually before I go on an outing I research price, times, etc. I went down not wanting to fork over money to see the indoor exhibit and even went during free grounds admission time. I intended to just look at the outdoor pieces and not venture into the Conservatory. It took me about 5 seconds to realize that I wanted to see possibly everything I could of his while I was there.

It was well worth the $25 spent ($20 for me and $5) for her.

The pieces are amazing. I told Mark I enjoyed it so much because I could just enjoy it for what it was--beautiful glass. Usually when I go to Met or MOMA (which I love to do) I am so busy trying to analyze and remember details from Humanities, etc. that I forget to just sit back and enjoy. This was just truly amazing that way. My favorite pieces were in the reflecting pools of the conservatory.

If you live locally and have time to go down in the next week (it ends on the 29th) I so highly recommend it!

It was so fun to take a child because she just had such a great time looking for the "sculptures" as she called them. They are tucked around the plants in the conservatory. She used the digital camera. It was so fun for her to take pictures, and then for us to look at the pictures--how she saw the sculptures from her point of view.

After the conservatory and a short visit to the Children's garden, we took the tram to see the rose garden and Nolan greenhouse installations. This took quite a while and she was a little tuckered out by then. If you are short on time, you can see just the conservatory and it is well worth it.

6 Comments:

At 10/22/2006 4:08 PM, Blogger liz said...

i want to touch them, especially the middle one!

 
At 10/22/2006 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! Those are AMAZING. What a fun thing for the two of you to do. I love those pictures. I'm going to look at them again.

 
At 10/23/2006 6:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went a few times before we moved. It's got to be one of my most favorite exhibits ever. A definite must-see.

 
At 10/23/2006 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Chihuly! We saw it at David's Citadel in the Old City of Jerusalem and then in Salt Lake during the 2002 Olympics. It's amazing! I want to see it at the Botanical Gardens, but didn't want to pay so much. Maybe we'll have to go on Saturday. Doesn't it end Sunday?

 
At 10/24/2006 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it ends Sunday, Laura. If you go on Sat. go first thing. It was hardly crowded but by the time we left there were lots and lots of people.

 
At 10/24/2006 6:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! And such a wonderful mommy/daughter day. I wish I could go!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home