Saving us from Train Derailment at Meltdown City
Thursday things were a little edgy. By Friday we were having meltdowns. Caroline and Matthew had tantrums. Big ones. Despite hearing a great talk on motherhood at Enrichment, I was losing my cool. Several times the phrase, "All you care about is the baby," was uttered. The family train was headed for derailment and no one could save it except a weekend! A mellow weekend.Mark decided that each child should choose a special activity with Mom or Dad for some quaility one on one time. He has fond memories of his parents doing this for him and his sibilings as a child.
Caroline chose to go shopping alone with Mom during baby's nap. We had a great time reconnecting. Josh chose to play Monopoly with Dad. When offered playground or duck pond, Matthew opted for duck pond with the family. He had a great time riding his big wheel. And we all got some fresh air and exercise. Sam had a fine time as long as he got his regular sleep.
I went from feeling I should be just divided into four equal parts (well, not equal since Samuel needs the top half) to feeling refreshed and ready for the week ahead. I'd love to hear other ideas on how to reconnect despite crazy schedules...

3 Comments:
along time is great! we take turns doing that with afton. we squeeze in playtime in the morning with patrick and afton if the day promises to be very busy for him. saturday early morning also works as a good time to do solo things.
our sunday is all about family time. it may not be the most reverant (dancing, being silly together) but there's nothing like a great game of family hide and seek to give kids attention and everyone laughs!
I know exactly how you feel! I just don't have the foresight and imagination to keep us from derailing. Hiding works for me (but not the kids). I'm going to definetely remember your great idea for the next time we are headed for derailment.
I learning about the way you do things as a mom with many kids. I love learning from you.
Post a Comment
<< Home