Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Favorite times of the day


Well, this is one of my favorite times of the day. Naptime!

I also like right after I have picked up the kids from school. They are so full of energy and they love to report what's happened that day. Afternoons have been great, esp. for Matthew. He loves to see his brother and sister when they come home. We cut back our after-school activities, and that's been a happy thing. Most afternoons are about playing in the backyard, making cookies, meeting friends at the park, etc.

Mornings (pre-carpool pickup) I like better now that we don't seem to revolve it around TV watching. Last year we choreographed all moments around cyberchase. Eat breakfast and get dressed before Cyberchase. Brush teeth, backpack and shoes and socks after Cyberchase. It's much better now. I have general signposts of what we need to do by what time (eat breakfast by 7:30 for example). But we are much less stressed. This is probably also because Sherry picks up my kids every day for school. (I pick them all up after school.)

Patricia (our RS president) advised last year in an Enrichment lesson about back to school, that things go much better when it's not all rush rush rush to get out the door. I've tried to adopt her mantra--"send them off with a good morning."

I also really like after dinner--when the dishes are done, homework is being completed, baths have taken place (but only every other day), everyone's in their pjs. It's story time, it's waiting for dad to come home, it's a good time of day.

(note: this image is a backwards clock--Mark used to have one in his apartment in Manhattan--a favorite gift for left-handers.)

2 Comments:

At 10/10/2006 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now both of my kids are asleep at the same time! I love it.

My favorite time of the day is after the kids and Fred go to bed and I spend a few minutes (usually very late at night) reading or watching a show all by myself. I like it when everyone is awake, too, but those few minutes at night are golden.

 
At 10/10/2006 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite time of day is bedtime. Why don't kids want to take naps? I wish I could.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home