Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Picture day

Picture day is coming up at the end of the week. This is always a little stressful. It shouldn't be really. I went through 13 picture days of my own. They all turned out okay.

Here are some reasons why I am dreading picture day:

1) Caroline's hair is difficult. We are trying to grow it out. It's got some curl in it which I always try to brush out. (I need to follow up on Marianne's suggestion to get Matrix curly hair products.) She hates it when I brush it. We have our most trying times as mother and daughter about her hair. My mom just left mine alone for the most part. I don't have any bad hair memories with my mom, I can only recall the feeling of masking tape along my bangs. Back to Caroline, hair clips, elastics, and bows are not for her. We recently tried elastic headbands, but she doesn't like to wear them under the back of her hair. Over the back of her hair suits her better.

Who is going to brush her hair before her photo?

2) The photos are pricey! Now I am paying for 2 packages. I want to get the least amount of photos I can get.

3) The pictures don't always turn out really well. Josh had to have retakes in kindergarten because he was off-centered!

4) Can't just throw on regular school clothes. I don't really want them to have patterns and definitely not characters. Their clothes kind of need to match the dining room decor where their picture will be displayed on the molding!

Hey, I just figured it out. Picture day brings the "Sunday getting ready for church" stress level to a normal weekday!

Will let you know how they turned out.

5 Comments:

At 9/27/2006 11:15 AM, Blogger Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Last year's pictures were ridiculous and I am dreading this year's.

Although the kids think they look like hot stuff. So, what do I know?

By the way, does anyone else ever fail the word verification thing? I put in the wrong letters about 50% of the time.

 
At 9/27/2006 1:47 PM, Blogger liz said...

well- is it a rule they have to be put on the wall? That is the tradition I will change in my family for all the reasons you listed- I never really looked natural or cute in my school photos and had to blush every time I passed the latest year's shot of embarrassment every day.

I love the professional photos you have on your wall now, I say get the cheapest package, put them in a special album for all the years' school photos so they know it's special and they are cute kids, but spend the real money/ display on someone to do a more natural shot of them one on one.

Or sneak it to the Walgreen's photo station and make them black n white.

Good luck would have been a better comment, huh!

 
At 9/27/2006 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate school pictures. They are the snapshots into my childhood that I don't EVER want to remember. They are the one thing that if I ever became famous and they resurfaced, I would sue for a bagillion dollars because of the embarrasment and pain caused and the therapy needed to recover from seeing them again. I hate school pictures. They should be banned!!

 
At 9/27/2006 6:01 PM, Blogger Tania said...

I never think the pictures are that great. I always buy whichever package is the cheapest that includes the class photo. That's the one I really want, so they can remember their friends and classmates.

Gabby, I fail the word verification thing ALL the time too! I think it's blurred vision due to fatigue!

 
At 9/28/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger Jenni said...

what was up with the pictures in the middles of the school year last year?? and why did they think we wanted 4,000 with every possible gimmick, a necklace, trading card, with the year 2006 shaped around their pic???!!! i try to avoid them at all costs. i cut a piece of bubble gum out of my bangs the night before kindergarten pictures, and for some reason my mom was out of town, so the photographer combed all of my hair to one side, needless to say that is a memorable one.

i will say, the ones josh had taken at parson's in harrison were good because they were taken outside, only good school pics i've seen.

take laura up on her offer, it is so much more fun to have someone other than mom do your hair...soph loved her to do french braids on her, and she does them beautifully!

sorry for the lenghthy comment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home