Toddler troubles
So guess who's discovered he has an opinion--about everything? This little independent streak has taken me by surprise. My happy-go-lucky, easy-going boy has a new side to him! No, I want to stay home. I don't want to go to the store. I don't want to pick up the kids, no, I don't want my diaper changed. Whoa!I read a book by Harvery Karp called The Happiest Toddler on the Block when we were having some struggles with this one's big sister. From this book, I can only remember these two bits of advice about toddlers:
1) Pay the toddler's bank account. This means to spend a few minutes each day having him choose what he wants to do and sitting down and doing it with him. By paying the banker first, he might actually play independently which will allow you to actually change the laundry, do the dishes, take a shower, make a phone call, etc.
2) A toddler needs 3 basic things each day: a chance to be outside, a story, and a creative experience (crayons, playdoh, etc.)
I liked his advice since it was managable. Drew some shapes on a page--check, backyard for a few minutes--check, Go Dog Go--check.
Today we ditched Karp advice #2. We focused on #1. He wanted to play cave under his blankie on the couch. It was a more creative way to pay the banker and we had fun snuggling. Small victory: he happily went with me to purchase the rest of big brother's Halloween costume.

2 Comments:
Yay for a small victory. I love the Happiest Baby on the Block - but not so much the Happiest Toddler ( all I remember is that you were supposed to act like a cave mama around your cave baby?) But I like the points that you remembered from that book much better. :)
Aren't two year olds fun? I switch back from mostly loving it - but occasionally wishing we could hurry up and get to three.
Yes, I agree about the Toddler book--it did have some random stuff. I forgot to say that with this book (and other advice types I read), I just take what I like and leave the rest behind.
I do really love age 3. It has been a pleasure with my other 2. And congrats on potty training. We haven't even attempted that yet!
Post a Comment
<< Home