Making Something out of Nothing

I was looking for canned goods for the school "canned goods for Thanksgiving drive" and found really nothing that I could donate. Instead I found a lot of foods that needed to be used but that were a little too random for the food drive.
green chiles
roasted red peppers
baja chipolte marinade
fusilli pasta
white beans
lots of black beans
salsa verde
diced tomatoes
dried blueberries
barley
random: plum sauce, thin rice noodles, sliced papaya, oat bran
It's kind of like going through your closet! It was very sad. I was thinking a lot, "What was I thinking?"
Well, I also needed to menu plan so I took my list up to my computer and got on the cooking light web site.
I typed in my pantry items and came up with the following meals for the week:
turkey tamale pot pie
roasted red pepper, zucchini and tomato soup with fusilli
curried barley with raisins and almonds
bean and bacon soup
chicken enchiladas with salsa verde
overnight oatmeal muffins
YEAH! I am so excited to try these new recipes and use up a few pantry items. Also, I made a grocery list to go along with it and a lot of the stuff for all the recipes I had on hand. My grocery list is like: zucchini, corn tortillas, buttermilk, almonds and more normal food to donate to the food drive.
So, maybe I can use some of my money saved from grocery shopping by using up stuff I already had to buy some new shoes and use the time saved by just running into the store for a couple items to go on a walk. We'll see how it turns out.

7 Comments:
you are too aware of the joys of efficiency
Kathryn, you ARE the most efficient person I know! They sound like great recipes. You deserve the shoes!
i love that feature on the CL website!!!
You should use the fusili to make Fusili Jerry or Fusili Mark ...careful of the proctologist though.
I always find random cans of garbonzo beans. When have a I ever prepared garbonzo beans?
Ooh - I got a great recipe from Jenni for white bean chili (remember she won the Westchester chili contest a few years ago?). Anyhow, that would use the white beans and the green chilies. Let me know if you want the recipe too. :)
wow, i never knew such a thing existed, i was trying to find a way to invent such a thing, i knew there was something out there to fill the need...great idea...let me know hoe the recipes turn out.
Post a Comment
<< Home