Photo organization
Now that I have my new camera, and will be taking most of my photos digitally (I was probably 50 percent film and 50 percent digital), I wanted to put out the question to my wonderful friends who read my blog:What do you do with your digital photos?
Do you print them out at home or print them out at Costco, etc.? I have printed them out at home occasionally but not seriously. I had thought instead of getting prints made and then putting them in an album, but then I wondered if I should just order albums directly from iPhoto (we have a mac). Seems like it would be cost efficient and save time as well.
I had a good system for my prints from my film SLR, but am looking for some sort of system for the digital prints. They are organized well on my computer, thanks to iPhoto, but I want to take it to the next step.
thanks in advance for your help!

7 Comments:
kathryn,
yay! you have a mac, too! anyway...i'm not going to tell you what we do because it's too complicated. we do print them at home, but since i'm married to a graphic designer, let's just say photoshop, indesign, etc. are part of the equation.
however, craig did use the iphoto album system to order cute little wallet size albums for me of the kids as a present. they are great! but, expensive. he ordered 3 albums (same album, 3 copies), and it came to $100.
so...you may want to try something different. a lot of my friends use costco, too and seem to like it.
good luck! two of my friends also just switched to digital from film and are facing the same dilemma as you, so if you have any advice, let me know!
buchanan is a good source - she has a book and good online catalog going on.
I am like you- quick and dirty-so I just do a file foler with the year and within that folder label them each month. Within each month it's specifics that help me remember what happened.
sample:
2006/October/Halloween Night
folders also in that file:
-birthday party
-ward party
-rainy day
-misc
excited to see how other people to it too! good post.
as for printing- I have not done well in that dept.
I print from my printer when I want to send extras to the family w/out computers and just print ones I want to fill on frames.
the eastchester photo place does a good job with enlargements! I also printed at walgreens on the 22, but lots of people use costco and i like that quality better.
iPhoto makes life so easy. i don't have time to fuss with photoshop so i import everything into iPhoto. from iWeb you can click and drag your photos and create a beautiful website for your family to check out. patrick creates slideshows to go with his imovie family movies.
i print everything at costco (using their online service). i also use the onlince service to send photos to grandparents costco stores. they get what they want without the mail ruining it.
i'm doing the iphoto books for xmas and am excited to see how they turn out.
I need this post so I can figure out what to do with mine, too.
i have not been able to get my posts to stick on your blog, let's see if this works this time?
oh, it worked, finally...the last couple of times I haven't been able to comment...so i am not much help here because my pics just stay in my computer, lame
Post a Comment
<< Home