Advent craziness
Well, we are into week 2 of counting down for Christmas.The 3 older children are enjoying their advent calendars from Trader Joes for $1.19. They have chocolates inside of them. They were enjoying them so much, that Matthew practically chanted himself to sleep on Dec. 5 saying, "I wonder what shape number 6 chocolate will be..." (repeat over and over) Then on the night of Dec. 6 he got up at-- no kidding-- 3 a.m. saying "I want number 7 chocolate."
Caroline has taken over as the advent person on our real advent calendar. It was purchased at a country store in Vermont when Josh was 1. It's a advent calendar with characters of the nativity you adhere to velcro, etc. She has decided we are doing a reverse advent. She has put up all the characters on the nativity scene, then takes one off each day and puts it in a pocket. Well, at lease when it's time to take it down, it will be all ready to put it away.
Memories of our advent calendar from growing up is something near and dear. With 6 children, we devised a system where we each got 4 days. My mom made the advent calendar. It was red felt with a big green Christmas tree. And each day we pinned an ornament on (the ornaments were made out of felt and adorned with sequins). On the 24th, we pinned (no velcro or snaps, just pins) the star on the top. The person who got the star was the luckiest person in the family. Meanwhile the rest of us would switch the ugly ornaments for the better ones. The best ones were the prettiest, the angel was my favorite, there were some nice birds, a drum, etc. The worst ones were like the brown stocking with black and gold sequins or the boring gingerbread boy. In my later years I would torment my siblings by not putting my ornament on until like 10 p.m. in the evening. Or maybe not even until the next day. They'd remind me over and over to do it, and I just kind of blocked it out. Cruel, huh?
I hope you all are having a wonderful advent.
PS I am adding this as an addendum...in his prayer tonight, Matthew asked, 'Please help us know what number 10 chocolate is.' Oh dear, I hope it's not another early morning! We may have to let him open all of his chocolates if it is.

5 Comments:
I think we had the same advent calendar growing up! I can clearly remember the sequins, and the star on top. My kids got the chocolate one from their uncle last year. Jackson tore through that thing without me knowing. I think even a year older it would still be pretty hard for him to wait each day! That is so funny about Matthew. You can tell what's on his mind!:)
That is sooooooo (did I emphasize that enough) cute about Matthew. I can totally see him doing that. How adorable. I remember those fun advent calendar days. Good memories. I don't remember you tormenting us though.
Matthew cracks me up- his prayer and his chanting!
today Zane said the family prayer before church and said "please help up to sleep better AMEN"
I love your Matthew. He reminds me of my Matthew.
The advent calendar is up this year and I get to put on all the ornaments (well, Susie put up one and then will be home on the 21st). I made the calendar just after Chrissie was born so you know how old it is. I didn't get the kids calendars this year because I never saw any. No Trader Joes or Fresh Market!
Post a Comment
<< Home