Monday, November 19, 2007

Cornbread stuffing

Right now, Mark is on his way to fetch my mom and sister from the airport! Yeah!

Last night, I was going over some things with my mom about our little feast. And she reminded me how she didn't like to eat much of Thanksgiving Dinner. In fact, we never had Thanksgiving at our house growing up, we always went to my Grandma's or to an aunt's house.

Well, I married into a family that really loves Thanksgiving! And I love spending it with them! One of the best recent Thanksgiving memories I have was when Mark's sister Joyce was visiting, and she and her girls and I started cooking on Wednesday. We had the best time in the kitchen together, knocking out the various dishes. One of my favorite parts of Mark's family's menu is cornbread stuffing. This recipe originates from his grandma, who spent most of her life in Alabama. It's Southern and I love it and I love the verbage in the recipe. I love that it is a heritage recipe. Here it is emailed to me by my sweet mother in law, Peggy...

Corn Bread

1 1/2 cups WHITE corn meal
3 Tablespoons flour
1 tsp salt
t tsp soda
1 egg
1 1/2 to 2 cups buttermilk
2 Tablespoons melter butter

Mix dry ingredients in bowl. Add egg and buttermilk, stirring
until combined. Add butter. mixture should be soupy -- add more
buttermilk if needed. Grease pan. Bake in VERY hot oven
(475 degrees ) 15 - 20 minutes Watch -- this may be too long.
One of my recipes says about 12 minutes.

Cornbread Stuffing

Break up about 12 - 13 pieces of bread (use slides of bread, ends,
rolls, etc. Lay it out for awhile to dry but that probably won't work
in NY. It doesn't have to be dry.) add to broken up cornbread.

Chop 1/2 to 1 onion. Chop some celery. Boil onion and celery for 15
minutes. Drain water. Save, you may want to use it to moisten. Add celery
and onion to bread. Moisten with hot water and chicken broth (I like Swanson's), (or
use a boullion cube) Add salt, poultry seasoning. Butter pan generously. Add a few dots of
butter or margarine to top of stuffing before baking. Bake at 400 degrees until brown.
I'm not sure of the time and it depends on the depth of the stuffing. My mother used to put it
in tin pie plates.

1 Comments:

At 11/21/2007 8:11 AM, Blogger Angela said...

Sounds yummy! I am tempted to try it. But we have a long-standing family recipe of my grandmother's for stuffing, and Madison is counting the days until I make it. It wouldn't be the same dinner without it. Hope you have a wonderful week with your mom and sis, and a very Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home