Gifts to myself
Well, we are getting close. Only 8 more days! To help me manage all the many responsibilities and keep the Christmas spirit, I have given myself a couple of small gifts I wanted to share.First, the gift of reading. We have been reading. We read all of our Christmas books. We checked out more from the library and read all of those. Caroline and I read the Best Christmas Pagent Ever. Then, independently, I read in about 2 hours each, The Gift and Finding Noel. I remember how much I had liked the Christmas Box, so I checked out Evans's 2 other Christmas books and they were quick and fun and touching. Not serious lit, but I enjoyed them.
Second, the gift of boundaries. I decided that this month when any unwanted email comes in I was going to take a minute and unsuscribe from that list. This is a very small thing, but I like it! I am like, oh, send me an email so I can unsuscribe from it!!! Also, Mark wanted to make cookies for his home teachees and deliver them. So I made 2 cookies (versus five) that I can make pretty well and we did those. I didn't have to go all out, just doing what I do pretty well made a difference.
Third, the gift of being a child again. It's fun to get excited about small things, decorating a gingerbread house, singing a favorite Christmas song, dancing with Josh to "Linus and Lucy," hanging up lights in the kids' room. Admittedly, it's hard to be the mom at Christmas. So much to do, shopping, wrapping, cards, mailing, etc. and I tend to get caught up in the tasks. It's been nice to focus on small moments. Also, I've tried to not worry about being Christmasy all the time. There is still laundry to do!

3 Comments:
I am so inspired by your ability to recognize this is a hard month for moms, I am totally going to do things differently next year so I can be a less stressed mom.
1) cards out by end of Nov
2) most of shopping done by end of Nov
3) more stuff to make my life easier in dec and enjoy it more with my kids- can't think of them all right now.
so....thanks for your example!
reading!!! yes! i'm getting a mommy book at the library tomorrow to bring some still time to the busy week.
I love this. Especially the end where you said you try not to worry about being "Christmasy" all the time. I've felt bad at times not doing more, and yet, yes, there is still laundry to do, among many other things! Good inspiration for me to enjoy this time and not get too overbooked.
Post a Comment
<< Home