Waiting for them to grow into it
A quiet Sunday afternoon found us going into our attic to retrieve items that had been stored for a latter use.Santa brought Josh a couple of playmobil sets when he was 4 and 5. He never really embraced it. I spent 2 Christmas mornings putting together a tree house and a pirate ship. A treehouse got disasembled and all the pieces were intermingled in a large tote.
But now I have a 6 and a 4 year old, a larger playspace and a week of spring break. It was a perfect time for it's reappearance. Playmobil pieces are scattered all over the playroom floor. They have made islands of pirates (using laptops) and driving a car with a GPS system, and they are having fun.
I also pulled out 2T clothes for Sam and size 4 clothes for Matthew. Oh the treasures! I was never so happy to see a size 4 yellow rain slicker in my life (perfect companion to Thomas rainboots). And the summer pajamas--sweet, well worn, washed many times from Baby Gap--little bare arms and legs exposed just enough to tickle and kiss.
We sometimes hurry up our kids--can't wait to get to the next stage. Can't wait for the baby to sit up, can't wait for the toddler to put 2 words together, can't wait for (insert other milestones)... But it is going so fast. I'd like to slow things down a bit more, put it away for a while and just wait for them to grow into it.

2 Comments:
I'm so guilty of always wanting them to move up to the next stage, but when I really think about it I just want them to stay little and enjoy this time. Great post!
exactly
Post a Comment
<< Home