Monday, March 12, 2007

What's in a name?

I am named after my Grandma. Her name is Kathryn.

I have always really liked my name. I am quite fond of the less common spelling. Sure, people mistake for Katherine, like if I am on the phone and my name needs to be spelled out, people assume it is Katherine. That's okay.

But the one thing I don't like about my name is when it gets shortened to Kathy.

Maybe when people see it written, it's just easy to drop the r and the n and naturally look at it as Kathy.

Kathryn
Kathy

Yes, I can see that happening.

Usually, I will correct people, but with some people it's been hard. The correction usually has to be done swiftly and quickly (and nicely) after meeting someone who calls me Kathy. "I have always gone by Kathryn" or "I prefer to be called Kathryn" have been two standard responses.

My dear, wonderful neighbor calls me Kathy and after 4 years I haven't been able to say, I really prefer Kathryn. Then I would feel bad that she would feel bad because for four years she's been calling me by the wrong name! The midwife used to call me Kathy and I corrected her many times but it never caught on!

Some of the older Italian women on our street call me Kathy, but I don't mind that as much since they don't hear so well.

We love that our sons names have a full name: Joshua, Matthew and Samuel, a nickname: Joshy, Matty, Sammy, and a common shortened name, Josh, Matt and Sam. We call Caroline Caro but most people call her Caroline. Josh does not like Joshua as much now, he writes Josh on his papers. Oh, and we have a ton of other nicknames for our kids as well, besides the standard one.

What do you like about your name or your children's names?

10 Comments:

At 3/12/2007 1:32 PM, Blogger laura said...

I hesitate to say this because a lot of people who read this blog pronounce my name "wrong." But I guess that means it's a good chance to set the record straight.

I say my name Lau-ra. Lau sounds like law, not the low. The au together says aw, not o. Anyway, sometimes I don't notice at first that people call me Lora and then it's too late to fix the problem. I can't bring it up after years. And I'm getting used to it. But my name is Laura. Not, "Oh, you spell it Lora and say Lara." It's Laura. I spell it and say it correctly!

 
At 3/12/2007 3:03 PM, Blogger Baerman said...

My name is Stephen. Not Steven. Not Stephan. When I was in elementary school there was another Steven. He went by Steve so I went by Stephen. I hated when my name was misspelled. Worst though was at the Doctor's office when I would get called in they would say, "Stephan Baer." It was a breath of fresh air when people called me Stephen.

Lately I've gone by Steve. I'm at a crossroads though as I debate whether to go back to Stephen. I distinguished myself as Stephen to my family and Steve to friends and to people in my business relationships. Now I like it when people at work call me Stephen and I'm getting tired of hearing my mother call me Steve.

When I finish law school I will for sure go back to Stephen. But I'm tempted to return to my roots now. We'll see...

 
At 3/12/2007 4:05 PM, Blogger Mumsy said...

I always hated my name because it was so popular. I had 4 Lindsey's (all spelled differently) in my 1st grade class. I hated it. I always wished my name was something longer, more feminine ('cause my name is really a boys name), and more traditional. I would have loved to have been a Katherine/Kathryn, Margaret, Elisabeth, Charlotte, or something more romantic--Jane, Kate, Ella, or Amelia, or something, anything different.

I really only like the "L" part.

I hate that Lily/Lilly has become so popular. At least we added an extra "l" to her name. And the "Rose" part, too. I think we got it right with Fritz. Not to be doubled anywhere. And I love that we gave him two middle names--although a little too long for the SS card and birth certificate.

And lastly, b/c this comment isn't long enough, I adore it when people shorten my name to Linds. I just feel like we're a little bit closer than just acquaintances.

 
At 3/12/2007 7:02 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

New englanders do not hear the name, Robert, all they hear is BOB and they pronounce it BAB! Nice! I did not marry a BAB! or a Bob!

 
At 3/12/2007 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My real name is Christine but my parents called me Chrissie when I was little and it has stuck. I have often felt like I should use my official name but it has just never felt right. I feel like people don't really know me if they call me Christine. I like that my name allows for several nicknames though. Some people call me Chrissie, Christine, Chris, and even my husband calls me "Tina". The spelling with Chrissie though has been tricky. No one spells Chrissie the way I do so it often gets misspelled. And most people are not Chrissie, they are Christy. So I get that a lot too. Wow, I didn't expect to leave such a long post! Interesting subject Kath!

 
At 3/13/2007 3:11 PM, Blogger liz said...

no matter how hard i tried during my transition to college liz will never be elizabeth.

i think it's cos i don't act or look like an elizabeth. more like a liz.

never a beth or i throw punches. eliza wouldn't do for me either.
lizzie growing up, but it makes me cringe to think of hearing myself referred to that as an adult (one aunt still calls me that)

 
At 3/14/2007 12:14 PM, Blogger Lizzy said...

I love that I am named after my great grandmother, whom my mother had a very special bond with. She died before I was born but because we share the same name, I feel like I knew her. Both my children are named for poeple in our families that we have special bonds with.

I am always Lizzy to my family. My Mom tried to call me Beth a few times because she hated Lizzy but I (like Liz F.) was not down with that. I love introducing myself as Elizabeth to new people and always hope it sticks..but it never does.

When I am old and gray, Elizabeth will be my handle. I think it will go with the long silver hair, flowing hippie skirts and flip flops I plan on styling!

And for the record my last name is Mar-a-Vee Ya... mar as in star that is.bg

 
At 3/14/2007 2:25 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I never liked my name. I do love my dad and I'm named for him -- so that's something. I do, however, like my kids names. They are all named for strong women in history who made a difficult decision when faced with adversity. I pray that each daughter will be as noble as the woman for whom she is named.

 
At 3/21/2007 11:31 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I have had a lot of fun with my little Vivian's name. I don't meet many (although who is to say that it won't become really popular and everyone will use it). Brian and I always try to have a formal sounding name that looks good on a resume or recital announcement with some fun short name with it. We like calling her Viv.

We have a Samuel at home, but he has never been called anything BUT Sam. He is our Sammers for short.

 
At 3/21/2007 11:34 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Lindsey - I was reading Star Magazine (oh my gosh I can't believe I am admitting to reading this, but I was) and Johnny Depp's little girl is named Lilly Rose too. I thought of you.

I also like it when people use Kells for me. Same reason - you just feel closer.

Good post Kathyrn. I am grateful for you. Thanks for letting me call you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home