Thursday, April 12, 2007

Baking for Baby

Today is a rainy rainy day, and Caroline's home with me and we decided to bake. We baked for baby Sam, 2 recipes (see below) out of the Well-Fed Baby Cookbook. I reviewed this cookbook today as he's out of the baby food phase, but with only 4 teeth, we are a little limited in offering him everything. It was fun to do a special activity with my girl for our sweet baby boy who napped through the baking fun. (I must admit that I am back "on the diet wagon" so that baking anything normal was going to be risky!) I also picked recipes that my other kids might try and that I had all ingredients for on hand.

It's Baby Grace's first birthday this week. I was fortunate at this time last year to be pregnant with several friends from our ward, all due around the same time. Oliver turned 1 last month, and after Grace, we'll have Sam's birthday, followed by Eliza, Betty and Jane and then Fritz a few weeks after that and even more after that! (We had 13 ward babies between March and August last year!)

So here's to our older babies and how much fun they are! And yeah to us for a great year!

From the Well-Fed Baby by Robin Sweet and Thomas A. Bloom

Oatmeal Shortbread Biscuits (makes 12)--recommended for ages 10 months and above
1 c. flour
1. tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 cups rolled oats
1 stick butter, softened and cut into small pieces
1/2 cup milk

Preheat to 375. Mix first four ingredients. Add oats, then cut in butter using a pastry cutter or 2 knives until the mixture is crumbly. Add milk, stirring until a dough is formed. Roll out to 1/8 inch thinkness, cut into 12 irregular squares. Bake on a cookie sheet until lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve at room temp. with apple butter or strawberry jam.


Pretzel Crisps (recommended for ages 10 months and up)

1 cup warm water
1 envelope active yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
2 1/2 c. flour (of this I used 1 cup whole wheat flour)
1 large egg yolk, beaten

Preheat to 425. In a bowl, mix water, yeast and sugar together, set aside for 15 minutes. Add flour and knead for 5 minutes. Cut dough into small pieces and place on cookie sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg. Bake for 15 minutes (watch carefully) or until golden brown, offer stale or frozen. (You could also use frozen bread dough).

1 Comments:

At 4/14/2007 10:35 AM, Blogger Mumsy said...

These are great recipes, Kathryn. I have been wanting to do more cooking/baking for Fritz. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home